Grammy Would Be Proud.
After I posted the recipe “Mom’s Flank Steak” on this blog, I found out from my father that the recipe was actually not originally Mom’s, but my Grammy’s! (Grammy was my Dad’s mom. I called my mom’s mom “Grandma” for anyone who’s curious.) Apparently, Grammy gave my mom the recipe before I was even born! Boy am I glad she did. Dinner tonight was *fan-tastic*.
Flank steak with mashed potatoes & broccoli… 100% paleo. It doesn’t get a lot better than this. 🙂
Monday, I had to pick up more ingredients, so Tuesday, I made the paleo ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. This morning, I made the Catalina dressing, and tonight, we had (in the words of my hubby) “fuckin’ delicious” flank steak.
I *did* have to make some revisions to one of the recipes, though! I promised you that I’d let you know if we had to make any changes, so here we go!
Paleo ketchup that makes the grade!
This was adapted from a highly-rated ketchup recipe on Allrecipes.com and the rich and deep-flavored ketchup on Paleo Diet Lifestyle. This ketchup recipe can be bottled in sterilized jars and kept for up to 6 months in the fridge.
Recipe makes about 5½ cups
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 stick of celery, chopped
½ fennel bulb, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 small bunch of fresh basil leaves
30 ounces tomato paste
3 Tablespoons honey
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1½ c. cold water
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
- In a frying pan, heat up 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Toss in the celery, fennel, ginger, and basil and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the contents of the frying pan, and put it all into a food processor.
- Blend into a paste.
- In a large (preferably glass) bowl, stir the green paste, tomato paste, honey, and vinegar together.
- Pour the water into the bowl and continue stirring until smooth.
- Add the spices (paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and coriander) and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a container (or a few containers) that is (are) good for refrigeration.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before using.
I hope you enjoy!