My mom makes the best stuffing in the world. And I’m not saying that lightly. She has to make 2 batches of it every year because we eat an entire tray at dinner and then need the next tray to go with our leftovers every year. 🙂
Now, you all know that I’m serious about being true to the Paleo Diet. But I have to break the diet for this stuffing, and I figured if I was going to feature Thanksgiving recipes, I would be doing the world wrong if I didn’t feature this recipe as well, since I haven’t seen it anywhere else.
I’ll be fixing this today and reheating it for tomorrow’s dinner at the in-law’s.
So without further ado, I give you:
The Best Cornbread & Crouton Stuffing You’ll Ever Break Your Diet For.
- 2 pkgs (8.5 oz) Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 cans (10¾ oz) chicken broth
- 4 eggs (2 eggs for corn bread + 2 eggs later on)
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
- 2 (1/3 c. each) of milk or Lactaid
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Real Bacon Bits (2-3 oz. bag)
- 5 c. croutons (1 box Garlic & Onion / 1 box Seasoned)
- 2 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ c. butter or margarine
- ½ c. hot water, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 2 pans (about 8 X 8 each).
- Blend ingredients with a fork or whisk in a bowl (1 pkg Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix + 1 egg + 1/3 c. milk or Lactaid).
- Pour it into the grease pan.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 for the second box & pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Cut the corn bread into ½ cubes. Set aside.
- Chop up the celery and onion.
- Take out and use a 9.5 X 13.5 X 2 in baking dish if you have one, or a 3 Qt. container to put all the following ingredients in it to service the stuffing.
- In the baking dish, combine the celery, onion and butter and place it in the microwave to cook for about 7 to 9 minutes (until tender).
- Stir in bacon, water, broth, parsley and poultry seasoning.
- Stir in small amounts of hot mixture into eggs, return gradually to hot mixture stirring constantly.
- Mix in cubed corn bread and croutons.
- Microwave on high 7-10 minutes or until some of the moisture has been absorbed and stuffing is hot.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Stuffing can stand covered for 30-40 minutes before serving.