Happy Labor Day, my fellow Americanos! And Happy Monday to everybody else.
Today’s the day we get to be lazy because we work our asses off every other day. Truth be told, it’s also really a great excuse for cooking outside and spending a little extra time with family.
Stanford’s Cure for Heat Intolerance
One of the things that always makes being outside a little tough for me is Heat Intolerance from MS. Currently, I just do my best to stay in the shade and keep hydrated — but now, there is something better for cooling folks down that has been invented!
Stanford University has recently come out with a heat-extracting glove! “[B]y taking advantage of specialized heat-transfer veins in the palms of hands, they can rapidly cool athletes’ core temperatures – and dramatically improve exercise recovery and performance.” They say that a commercial version will be out sometime soon, and you can bet your bottom dollar that in order to let me get back into cardio exercise, I will be doing whatever is necessary to get one!
This will help so many people! Not only athletes, who will be able to move forward in their pursuits faster than if they had been juicing on steroids – but there are so very many physical conditions that are affected by heat!
Cooking Up Something Delicious for Labor Day
Now, as for cooking out with the family, I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for something delicious, low fat, and flavorful.
Today, I want to share with you a yummy recipe! This is the Hawaiian Burger recipe that Adam and I will be making this afternoon!
2 pounds lean ground chicken or turkey
1/2 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
1 (8 ounce) can sliced pineapple
8 slices bacon
8 slices cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together hamburger meat, egg, and teriyaki sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- Brush oil on grate. Place burgers on grill over medium low heat. Cook, covered, until the burger is cooked through.
- Cut bacon strips in half. Fry up the bacon separately.
- Grill the Pineapple.
- Build the burgers with 2 half strips of bacon and 1 grilled pineapple slice and a piece of lettuce, serve with extra teriyaki sauce.
- Serve alongside sweet potato or plantain fries.
Hope you enjoy as much as I know we will! 🙂