When Adam and I were watching the series Deadwood, we couldn’t help but get a hankering for beef stew. Below is the recipe that we built for ourselves, in all of its paleo glory! We absolutely love this recipe and have it at least once a month. I hope you all enjoy it as well. It’s slated to be cooked next week as part of the Whole46.
Deadwood Beef Stew
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-size cubes
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1-2 teaspoon paprika (I like smoked, but any kind will do)
1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
5 oz of white pearl onions (That’s half a bag usually.)
4-5 red potatoes, diced (Substitute sweet or yams for a different taste if you like.)
4 carrots, sliced (or half a bag of baby carrots)
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 oz of mushrooms (or more!)
a few drops of Hickory flavored Liquid Smoke
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix together the arrowroot, salt, and pepper
- Pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with arrowroot mixture.
- Stir in everything else. (the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, peas, mushrooms and celery.)
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.