I can’t possibly say enough good things about the slow cooker my “uncle” Lex got me and Adam for our wedding present. It’s the Hamilton Beach Set N’ Forget 6 quart programmable model, and everything that has come out of it so far has tasted like it was kissed by magic. Maybe it’s just love. 🙂
Or my love of laziness, because seriously, you don’t get lazier with cooking than when you’re using a slow cooker.
Today, I thought I’d share with you one of my favorite recipes. It’s a favorite because of its simplicity and because I made it even before I started on the primal path. There’s just nothing easier or more basic than pickin’ up a bird from the store, cleaning it, covering it in the spices you want, and dumping it in a slow cooker for 10 hours. There really isn’t. But to make it look fancy, I’m gonna put it in recipe format for ya here. Ain’t I a peach? 😉
Baked Slow Cooker Chicken
1 (2-3 lb) whole chicken
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper
2 c. chicken broth
Vegetables (optional) – 4 yukon gold potatoes, 1 c. each pearl onions, celery, and carrots recommended.
- Make 4 foil balls (like meatballs, but made out of aluminum foil), and place them at the bottom of the slow cooker – or, if you would like vegetables with your chicken, place them at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot.
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold, running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and spices and place in the slow cooker on top of your veggies or foil balls.
- Set the slow cooker on HIGH for 1 hour, then turn down to LOW for about 9 to 11 hours, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Okay, so I didn’t put it up there in the recommended vegetables, but you can totally garlic and parsley this bird up for extra yumminess points. You can even go crazy and add mushrooms. But that’s pushin the envelope. 🙂
Culinary Zealotry, AHOY!!!