Fortunately (or unfortunately) there are a lot of different ideas about what constitutes a paleo diet. For the sake of making life easier, Adam and I have decided that its paleo if it’s naturally occurring, basically. I basically sing to myself, “meat, fruits & veggie, nuts & berries!!!!” So, we believe in the goodness of tubers, and enjoy honey and maple syrup, as well as a myriad of spices.
We came across a good looking recipe on the Civilized Caveman’s Cooking site, but thought it needed our special touch.
Adam’s pretty great at baking, and I’m pretty good palate-wise, so we ended up changing a few things. Like the coconut oil for example. I don’t understand why if it’s paleo, people automatically think we should use coconut oil where ghee will do the job much more elegantly and tastefully. We need to remove casein, sure, but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater! We also added eggs, dates, raisins, and honey to this recipe to make a fantabulous cookie that we are still nomming on today!
Without further ado, here it is!
Rae & A’s Apple Cinnamon Raisin Cookies
|2 c.||apples, chopped|
|1/2 c.||dates, chopped|
|1/2 c.||coconut flour (or 1 c. shredded coconut)|
|2 tsp.||melted ghee|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put everything in a food processor EXCEPT for the honey, eggs, and raisins. Blend until dough-like.
- In a mixer (or large bowl) beat the eggs, add the honey and the raisins, and then add the mixture.
- Form patties (the cookies will not change shape in the oven) and place them on parchment paper on cookie sheets prior to placing in the oven.
- Cook the cookies in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!